Thursday, June 22, 2006


My toe nails have problems. I don't mean to gross people out, but I have fungus under my nails. A couple of months ago, my left big toe nail was so brittle that when I stubbed it on somebody's shoe in basketball, it broke off and it was kind of painful. Last year I talked to my doctor about the problem. She confirmed that I have fungus under the nails and prescribed the appropriate medication. But my insurance won't cover it. The medication costs hundreds of dollars. So I let it be.

This Tuesday I stubbed my right big toe on somebody's shoe. It hurt really bad. In the locker room, I expected to see blood when I took my shoe off. But there wasn't any ... just lots of blue under the nail. I drove to work in excruciating pain. I could hardly sit still it was hurting and throbbing so badly. It felt like a car was parked on my toe ... like a car door was shut on my toe and remained shut. I finally decided to leave work and go see the doctor. I knew the doctor wouldn't be able to do much, but I wanted to know if it was broken or not and I wanted some painkillers in case the pain didn't subside.

I had it x-rayed and it's not broken. But the nail was about 80% separated from the skin. There is a lot of blood built up underneath. I took lots of ibuprophen that day and that helped me cope with the pain. Tuesday was just a bad day ... the toe injury, didn't do too well on a group presentation and the Mavs lost. I'm glad that day is long gone.

After a good sleep, I woke up Wednesday morning and it was feeling much better. I could walk much better, but still had a gimp. I didn't have to take any ibuprophen.

Last night I had another good sleep and this morning I'm feeling much, much better. I can walk normally now. I think I might be able to play ball on Saturday. Before I play though, I'm going to buy some quality basketball shoes. The cheap ones I bought in January slide too much and I think the constant jamming of my toe to the front of my shoe doesn't help. Anyway, the pressure is mostly gone and I can bend it and apply most of my weight to it again.

What is so frustrating is that I think I was really starting to have some solid games in basketball between last Saturday and Tuesday and now it's all interrupted. I missed basketball this morning.

So back to the purpose of the blog ... I expect my weight will be about the same or even slightly more by the time I weigh in next time.

I'm still on the "diet" ... I'm drinking the SW and ELOO. Yesterday and Tuesday I missed, but today I'm back on. I ate breakfast this morning (wheat chex with blueberries) so I'll be taking the SW at 11:00am and eating lunch after 12:00pm. Then I'll take my swig of ELOO this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment